May 6, 2007

FREEDOM!!!!

I am finally, finally, done with school! It feels so amazingly good. But sad, sort of bittersweet. I really do love school. I actually got a bit teary-eyed when I walked out of my last final, but I think this was mostly because I finished right at noon... so just as I left the building, the bell tower started its daily rendition of the school fight song. Poetic timing, huh?

So funny story about my last final. I actually missed it!!!!! If you know me at all (which I guess most of you don't, but pretend you do), you know how shockingly uncharacteristic this is. I'm normally extremely on top of things; I have never missed (or even been late for) meetings and such, and have never even skipped a class without prior permission from the professor! But, after four years of perfection, I completely missed my one and only final. I didn't even forget about it- in fact, I was studying for the final when I was supposed to be taking it. I just thought it was 24 hours later than when it really was! I have had the final written for the wrong date in my calendar for several months now- no idea how that happened. Soooooooooooo embarrassing. The professor was very gracious about it (even e-mailed me to make sure everything was ok), and allowed me to take the final Friday in his office. It all worked out fine and the professor didn't seem to mind at all- but still! I suppose this is a just very ironic, and somehow fitting, end to my college career! :-)

Even though I finished my academic requirements, I've still got quite a bit to do. I've spent the past two days paying bills, cancelling my AL utilities and starting them up again in TN, packing, finishing up my last responsibilities as TBP president, and and taking care of all other manner of administrivia related to moving. I've also accomplished a small bit of reading. (Ok, so I read the the first Harry Potter book in 24 hrs... I know I have a lot of stuff to be doing right now, but it's a short book, ok? And I've already read it once, so I could go through it quickly this time. And I'm done with school!!!!!)

So, for the next few days I will be occupied with packing up taking care of all the moving-related issues. Mum's coming tomorrow (yay!), and Daddy and my grandparents are following on Wednesday. There's a chemE reception Wed. afternoon, and then graduation is Thursday morning.

Friday we'll all be getting up at "o'dark thirty" (as one of my friends likes to say- referring to the wee small hours of the morning) to head to TN. After I get at least somewhat moved in to my new apartment, we'll all head to CO, arriving... mm... Tuesday the 15th, I think?


Then I'll have a couple weeks vacation at home- I'll finally get to start my Hogwarts pal's socks! And then I'll fly back to Birmingham to be in my friend Laura's wedding. And then back up to TN to start work.

I apologize- this whole post is probably really boring, especially the detailed itinerary I've just provided. (Of course, I did warn you in my very first post that I tend to talk too much! :-p ) Anyway, the main purpose of this post (besides the blissful announcement that I'm done with school forever! or at least temporarily) is to put up the pictures I promised a while back. You asked for them, so there are plenty!

The first group are from the annual RUF low country boil. RUF is a campus ministry I've been involved at here at Auburn, and is where I met most of my friends.


The second group of pics is from my end-of-thesis champagne party. (And in case you're wondering, no, none of my friends - or myself - drink much at all, so this was not a very common event.)

The last pictures are from a chemical engineering department golf scramble. At lunch, a few of the students did a "who's who" type presentation- each of the seniors and faculty present were given some kind of title, as well as a matching "crown." Some of my friends' titles were: "first millionaire," "nicest guy you'll ever meet," "life of the party," and "first down the aisle" (Laura will be the first in our class to get married). My title was "professional interviewee," because I went on more job interviews last fall than anyone else in the senior class. (I wanted to be exposed to a lot of different companies so I could make a good decision about which offer to take... and it was worth it!)

So, without further ado, here they are- enjoy!



RUF Low Country Boil




Roommate goofiness...
(L-R: me, Mary, Allison [my sister], Anna [Mary's sister])


Nathan, my "little brother" (we were "adopted" by the same family at church)


Some of my best Auburn friends! (L-R: Michael, me, Allison, Anna, Mary, Nick)


End-of-Thesis Celebration



Me (sorry for the weird look- whoever took the picture caught me off guard) and The Goblet; Nathan



Nick; me and The Goblet (again, sorry for the unexpected, and therefore goofy-looking, picture)



Matt, Laura, and me (I'm going to be in their wedding in a few weeks!); Michael (at least I snapped an unexpected picture of him since he caught so many of me!)


The Goblet



Chemical Engineering "Scramble for Graduation"


All the seniors & faculty with our "crowns" - can you see me?


My "crown"


3 comments:

Theresa said...

Congratulations - enjoy the excitement of all the week!

vanessa said...

not boring at all!
you must be so proud of all your accomplishments!!!!!!!!!

knit some socks with your mom on your vacation :-)

Anonymous said...

P.S. This is your Hogwarts swap pal. I won't bug you now, but I will when you seem settled and have a new address. Good luck with the move!